THE DRAWER BOY
Author: Michael Healey
Director: Karen Wakeham
- Tuesday 23 April 2019, 7:30 – 10:00 pm
- Wednesday 24 April 2019, 7:30 – 10:00 pm
Beautifully written, this funny but also very poignant play is the story of two middle-aged farmers with a long-shared past. Their peaceful lives are changed by the appearance of a young actor from the city, who is undertaking research for a theatre production. What he unearths changes all their lives irrevocably.
- The play requires three male actors only.
- Accents: All three characters speak with generic American accents.
- All roles demand a broad range of comic and dramatic skills.
* Morgan: age range 50s-60s. He is tough-minded, ruggedly practical, pragmatic, often ironic. Clever, though he barely finished school, piercingly perceptive, yet very caring and responsible. Hates communists and war. Has a long-standing, guilty secret.
* Angus: age range, 50s-60s. Has a brain injury acquired during a war accident. Able to accurately count stars, has the talents of an architect (a ‘drawer’ of buildings). Not silly, but trusting, he can also be very acute, though he appears limited by his condition. Gentle, loves poetry and animals, enjoys baking bread. Makes sandwiches.
* Miles: age range, 20s. Earnest and enthusiastic young actor training in ‘playback’ style of performance. ‘…here to get your history and give it back to you!’. Apolitical. He has a naïve understanding of the complexities of farming, though he is also much shrewder than at first appears.
- Auditions are by appointment only. To apply for an audition, email Karen Wakeham firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the role[s] for which you wish to audition and the preferred time.
- The audition venue and any audition preparation requirements will be provided when an audition time has been booked.
- Each auditionee is requested to bring a named, recent photo (passport-size is ideal) when you attend the audition.
- Callbacks, if required, will be held on the day following the second audition day. Those invited to the callback will be notified of the venue.
- For other queries, including information about obtaining a copy of the script, email the Director email@example.com.
SUBURB & STATE
Heidelberg Theatre Company
September 6 – 21, 2019
- Performance dates/times: Evenings at 8.00 pm on Sep 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19,20, 21; Matinees at 2.00 pm on Sep 8, 14, 15.
- Second Saturday of performance, Sep 14, 2019 has two shows, at 2.00 pm and 8.00 pm