IN THE NEXT ROOM BY SARAH RUHL
BRIGHTON THEATRE COMPANY VIC
AUDITIONS 12TH AND 13TH NOVEMBER
SEASON 14TH FEB-3RD MARCH 2018
AUDITION / PLAY and CHARACTER INFORMATION: *please note: this is a play that involves matters of an adult nature, and some actors may be asked to perform scenes of an intimate nature with discreet nudity. Also appropriate accents will be a must (varies for each character as listed below). The cast (4f 3m) are listed below – ages can be flexible, so don’t worry too much about those, we’re looking to get a cast that is committed and works well together primarily, so roles may be aged up or down. No one has been precast for this show.
SYNOPSIS: Set in 1880s New York and at the dawn of the age of electricity, this Victorian era story is based on the bizarre historical fact that doctors used vibrators to treat ‘hysterical’ women (and some men). The play centres on Dr Givings and his young wife Catherine who has recently had her first child, and how his new therapy affects their entire household. When a new “hysterical” patient and her husband bring a wet nurse and their own complicated relationship into the doctor’s home, Dr. and Mrs. Givings must examine the nature of their own marriage, and what it truly means to love someone. The play opened on Broadway at the Lyceum Theatre in November 2009. Inspired by ‘The Technology of Orgasm’ by Rachel P. Maines, the play was a finalist for the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and was nominated for the 2010 Tony Award for Best Play, Best Featured Actress, and Best Costume.
Character Summary: 4F and 3M Roles
Dr.GIVINGS: a man in his forties, a specialist in gynaecological and hysterical disorders.
CATHERINE GIVINGS: his wife, a woman in her late twenties.
SABRINA DALDRY his patient, a woman in her early thirties.
ANNIE: a woman in her late thirties, Dr. Giving’s midwife assistant.
LEO IRVING Dr. Giving’s other patient, an Englishman in his twenties or thirties.
Mr DALDRY: Sabrina Daldry’s husband, a man in his forties or fifties.
ELIZABETH: an African-American woman in her mid 20s to late thirties. A wet-nurse by default.
Available slots are Sunday 12 November @ 7.15pm or 8.30pm or Monday 13 November @ 8.30pm
1. Applicants are advised to read the script beforehand. There will be set pages given prior via email if requested. You will need to be available for up to 60 minutes for the audition and will be reading against other auditionees. I will do my best to run on time.
2. Audition and Performance location: Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre, cnr Wilson and Carpenter Streets, Brighton. Enter from Wilson Street
3. Rehearsals will most likely be Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday (time to be negotiated with cast – either afternoon or evenings)
4. Performance Dates: Charity preview Wed 14th Feb, and then 14 shows during Thurs 15th February – Sat 3rd March 2018 (Wed – Sat 8pm and Sun 2.15pm matinee though there is an extra 2.15pm matinee on Sat 24th Feb)
5. Our first read through will most likely be Sunday 19th November (if all cast available) and then start rehearsals on Tuesday 21st November. There will be no rehearsals over the Xmas / New Year period. We will have final 2017 rehearsal on Tues 19th December and resume again on Sunday 7th January.
Please send your character and audition time preference along with Performing Arts CV (ONE page only, with contact mobile and headshot photo) to the Director Natasha Boyd firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of production
Company Name and Suburb
Brighton Theatre Company