PEP Productions Inc. invites you to audition for our production of Assassins, performing at the Doncaster Playhouse from Thursday 22 August – Saturday 31 August 2019.
To book your audition, please read the information below and visit trybooking.com/BAWUG
—– PRODUCTION TEAM —–
Director | Daragh Wills
Musical Director | Maddy Corbel
Assistant Director | Luca Cirillo
Production Manager | Justin Cleaver
—– CAST AGES —–
• All cast are to be over 18 years of age by August 22, 2019.
—– AUDITION DATES —–
• Auditions will take place on:
– Tuesday 26 March @ 7:30PM-10:30PM
– Thursday 28 Match @ 7:30PM-10:30PM
• More audition dates/times will be added on Monday 25 March and/or Wednesday 27 March if a high number of applicants express interest.
• Callbacks will take place on Monday 8 April @ 7:30PM-10:30PM. Notification of those required will be made by Monday 1 April. Please note that not all roles will require a callback,
—– AUDITION LOCATION —–
• All auditions and callbacks will take place at Boronia West Primary School, Tormore Rd, Boronia VIC 3155.
—– AUDITION REQUIREMENTS —–
• All auditions are scheduled by appointment only.
• Auditions will be allocated in half-hour sessions, with a maximum number of individual auditionees in a timeslot being four. Individual auditions will take between 5-10 minutes in most cases.
• Please prepare two contrasting songs in the style of the show that showcase your vocal range and acting ability. Please choose an appropriate starting place in your song/s and note that the panel may not need to hear all of your pieces.
• Piano accompaniment will be provided, providing your own accompanist is also permitted. Unaccompanied auditions will not be accepted.
• Self-accompaniment will not be accepted, with the exception of those auditioning for the roles of The Balladeer and/or John Hinckley Jr, who can self-accompany on guitar or another stringed instrument should they choose. Please note that this is not a requirement for those auditioning for these roles; but will be accepted – see character descriptions for more details.
• Auditionees may be required to do a cold read of a script excerpt as part of their audition.
• Auditionees may be required to complete vocal exercises/scales as part of their audition.
• Please arrive fifteen minutes prior to your scheduled half-hour slot to complete all necessary registration details. Please provide a non-returnable, current, clear photo of yourself, and an up-to-date resume (if available).
• The audition panel will consist of all production team members listed above.
—– REHEARSAL INFORMATION —–
• Rehearsals will commence Tuesday 16 April @ 7:30PM-10:30PM.
• Rehearsals will be held Tuesday evenings (7:30PM-10:30PM), Thursday evenings (7:30PM-10:30PM) and Sunday evenings (6:30PM-9:30PM).
• Rehearsal will be held at Boronia West Primary School, Tormore Rd, Boronia VIC 3155.
• Rehearsal locations are subject to change, but plenty of notice will be given in these instances.
• A two-night rehearsal camp will take place from 12-14 July 2019. Location is to be confirmed.
• A compulsory sitz probe will be held on Sunday 11 August @ 6:30PM-9:30PM, in regular rehearsal time.
—– PRODUCTION WEEK AND SEASON DATES —–
• Production week will commence on Saturday 17 August and all cast are expected to be involved with Bump In on this day.
• Technical and dress rehearsal will take place on the evenings of Sunday 18 August- Wednesday 21 August (inclusive).
• Performance dates and times include
– Thursday 22 August @ 8:00PM
– Friday 23 August @ 8:00PM
– Saturday 24 August @ 8:00PM
– Wednesday 28 August @ 8:00PM
– Thursday 29 August @ 8:00PM
– Friday 30 August @ 8:00PM
– Saturday 31 august @ 6:00PM
• Bump Out will take place after the final performance, and all cast and crew are expected to lend a hand.
• In-theatre call times during production week will be provided closer to Bump In. All successful auditionees must be available for all of these times.
• All production week rehearsals and performances will take place at the Doncaster Playhouse, 679 Doncaster Rd, Doncaster VIC 310-8
Membership and Show Fees
• All successful auditionees will be required to become financial members of PEP Productions and pay a show fee. One $90.00 payment will cover both these requirements.
—– CAST SIZE AND REQUIREMENTS —–
• Assassins will consist of an onstage cast of eleven – eight males and three females.
• This show calls for a cast that is prepared to have fun, work hard and show commitment to character through performance and production.
—– CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS —–
JOHN WILKES BOOTH
Male | Baritone (F2-G4) | Lead | to look 25-40 years
An American man who at 26 years of age, successfully assassinated President Abraham Lincoln during a performance at Ford’s Theatre in Washington DC on April 14, 1865. As the pioneer and leader of the group of assassins and viewed amongst them as an inspirational celebrity. The actor portraying Booth must portray a strong sense of leadership and confidence, with a smooth and seductive undertone.
Male | Baritone (G#2-G4) | Lead | to look 25-35 years
A Polish-American man who at 28 years of age, successfully assassinated President William McKinley at the Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, NY on August 31, 1901. A young, poverty-worn radical with a lethal passion for justice, the young actor portraying the role of Czolgosz calls for an excellent actor with a strong lower register. Must have the ability to speak in a Polish accent.
CHARLES J. GUITEAU
Male | Tenor (A2-Ab4) | Lead | to look 30-45 years
An American man who at 39 years of age, successfully assassinated President James Garfield in the waiting room of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station, Washington DC on July 2, 1881. A religious man with psychopathic tendencies, the actor playing Guiteau must have strong comedic and expressive skills with the added ability to portray an unhealthy dose of eerie and intense undertones.
Male | Tenor (C3-G4) | Lead | to look 18-25 years
The Balladeer is a young man, personifying the voice of America. He takes the audience through the stories of the three successful assassinations and acts as the voice of reason in opposition of the assassins, for as long as he can. A young actor is needed to portray this role, with strong acting and singing ability. Ability to play guitar, banjo, ukulele or another stringed instrument is preferable, but not required.
SARA JANE MOORE
Female | Soprano (F3-Eb5) | Supporting | to look 35-50 years
An American woman who at age 45, unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford at the St Francis Hotel in San Francisco, CA on September 22, 1975. A bit of a scatter-brain, Moore acts as some of the comedic relief in the piece as a frazzled housewife with little sense. The actress portraying Moore must have excellent comedic timing and be a strong character actress.
LYNETTE “SQUEAKY” FROMME
Female | Alto/Mezzo (A3-G5) | Supporting | to look 25-35 years
An American woman who at age 27, unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford at Capitol Park in Sacramento, CA on September 5, 1975. A pixie hippie in love with Charles Manson with a personality that would have anyone on edge – step in her way and you’re in for a world of trouble. A strong character actress with a beautiful voice is required for this role.
JOHN HINCKLEY JR.
Male | Baritone (A2-G4) | Supporting | to look 20-30 years
An American man who at age 26, unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981. A love-obsessed and depressed college student, Hinckley’s obsession with actress Jodie Foster brings him to the brink of insanity. A stereotypically ‘geeky’ character to be portrayed by an actor with the ability to make anyone feel sorry for him, despite his actions. Ability to play guitar is preferable, but not required.
Male | Tenor (B2-A4) | Supporting | to look 30-40 years
An Italian-American man who at age 33, unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 15, 1933. An angry man, full of rage towards politics, the actor portraying Zangara must be able to focus an intense energy into their performance. Must have the ability to speak in a thick Italian accent.
Male | Tenor or Baritone | Supporting | to look 35-55 years
An American man who at age 44, unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate President Richard Nixon on February 22, 1974. Described as a “hysterically irate schlep in a Santa Claus suit”, Byck is persuasive and surprisingly wise, despite his appearance. Must have the ability to speak in a thick Brooklyn accent. Primarily a spoken role with some singing
THE PROPRIETOR (AND OTHERS)
Male | Tenor or Baritone (Gb2-F4) | Ensemble | flexible age
The Proprietor is the mysterious man who runs the shooting gallery at the carnival. The actor portraying this role will be the sole male ensemble member, playing a variety of cameo roles including but not limited to: The Proprietor Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley, Ronald Reagan, James Garfield, Gerald Ford, a press junkie, a bartender, etc.
EMMA GOLDMAN (AND OTHERS)
Female | Soprano or Alto | Ensemble | flexible age
Emma Goldman is a turn-of-the-century anarchist agitator feminist with a stubborn nature. She acts as an inspiration to Leon Czolgosz. The actress portraying this role will be the sole female ensemble member, playing a variety of cameo roles including but not limited to: Emma Goldman, Billy (Moore’s son), “Something Just Broke” soloist, etc.
TO BOOK YOUR AUDITION VISIT: